msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] W-EMT

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] W-EMT
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 08:27:52 -0600

I second Susan Nestor's advice to investigate requirements of
the state in which you intend to practice, before signing up
for any kind of EMT training.

WFR (woofer) training is largely independent from EMT training.
WFR is often characterized in the EMT community as supplemental
training for EMTs but in my experience it has significant value
on its own.

My WFR training, in 1985, has served me well over the past 20
years; many intructors and SAR managers have commented to me
that the WFR focus on on-the-spot improvisation is invaluable.
And it is precisely the focus needed for SAR first responders.