msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] W-EMT

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Tm' Fi <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] W-EMT
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 05:40:32 -0400

Hi David,

That is a fast track towards becoming an EMT. One thing you may consider is that EMT's are generally registered within their own state of residence or employment, although they are also placed on a national register, they will still to seek approval prior to render assistance from an "out of state" AHJ, if a mutual aid agreement has not but been made in advance.

Because of this many SAR folks are taking the Wilderness First Responder course. I am not sure what your personal goals are for obtaining EMT, but the WFR course may be something else to consider. Two Maryland SAR teams just finished conducting WFR courses at a cost of just under $200. Both teams conducted the courses over 3 weekends (Friday night and 10 hour days on Saturday and Sunday).

Best of luck obtaining your training!

Tomi`
TROT-SAR Mounted Team
State of Maryland

See; http://www.wildmed.com/course_fact_sheets/emt_wemt_facts.html
<http://www.wildmed.com/course_fact_sheets/emt_wemt_facts.html>
I was thinking of taking this Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician
training and wonder if anyone has any experience or comments with this kind
of certification or this particular organization. It is a one-month program
in Maine and the $2,600 includes room and board.

David from DC