msar-riders - [MSAR] Liability insurance for mounted events

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Liability insurance for mounted events
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:55:17 -0600

MSAR-Riders folks,

This is a query from the secretary/treasurer of my mounted
SAR unit, Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse. Despite our name
we are not now affiliated with our county sheriff's office,
so our situation is that of an independent SAR unit typical
of the eastern US. Like many Posse units, we own property.

We have a liability policy but are concerned that it may in
fact not cover any of our activities. SAR missions and mock
searches are covered by the state of New Mexico. Our other
activities, all mounted, include the following 6 cases:

1. Traffic control and parking lot detail at museums.

2. Traffic control and parking lot detail at rodeos, show
jumping, and other equestrian events.

3. Guiding trail rides organized by other organizations for
charitable purposes. These are advertized to the public
and open to any rider who pays the ride fee.

4. Riding in rodeo grand entries and in street parades.

5. Unit trail rides and other field trainings, sometimes
with guest riders on their own horses.

6. Unit arena riding, on our property, usually with guest
riders on their own horses.

For cases 1 through 4, we wear our unit uniforms and work
with the public.

I would expect that in cases 1, 2, and 3, the organization
running the activity should give us a "rider" on their own
liability insurance policy. However, to date we have never
asked for nor been given such a policy rider. Were we to
ask for this, it would help to be able to provide relevant
information for the organizers to pass via their insurance
agent to the underwriters. Advice from anyone having prior
experience with this would be much appreciated!

We are in New Mexico, so if we shop for new insurance, it
must be through an agency that can and will write policies
in New Mexico.

Thanks in advance,