msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] from Spain: what I do when riding on snow

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Terry Nowacki" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] from Spain: what I do when riding on snow
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:05:58 -0800

In Northern Mn it is usually is way too cold to allow snow to stick, it
usually just creeks when you walk on it.
But the rare times it does stick I have sprayed the underside of hooves
with Spam cooking spray, it works great because it is not messy and you do
not have to take your gloves off to apply it.. It also helps to keep hooves
trimmed and keep the soles and frog smoothly trimmed so snow does not find
as much place to find a grip.

TER