msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] response to Lyne Peterson regarding Mounting Patrol Testing Question

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lyne Peterson <lyne@bryngyld.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] response to Lyne Peterson regarding Mounting Patrol Testing Question
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:10:42 -0800 (PST)

In our unit we are expected to get off. I don't know about your eyesight, but
when I'm looking for sign, I usually have to get fairly close (often on my
knees) to identify a track. Yes, we carry radios, and we are sometimes
instructed to mark the area of the clue or tape off the area, or pick up the
item and bring it in. In training, we all grumble about who's turn it is to
get off, of course. ^_^

This is very interesting how different procedures are for different units. I
have to say I don't like getting on and off. My mare is 17 hands.

Mary <mhawes@mlecmn.net> wrote:
When clues, tracks, etc are found during a search, volunteer members are NOT
to disturb the evidence so why would the mounting/dismounting issue come to
play here?!? If we find any evidence, we are expected to call for assistance
via radios carried during searches. If an injured person is found, that would
be a different situation...obviously I would get off my horse to assist an
injured person no matter how much trouble I would have getting back on!!
Mary Hawes