msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: mounted patrol testing question

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Ron & Tracy Helget" <helget@wamego.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: mounted patrol testing question
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 07:03:40 -0600

I, too, have seen small people (5'2") mount large horses (16+ hands). My
daughter is one of them. She is 20, 5/2", and owns a growing 16.3 hand
Percheron. She gets her foot in the stirrup unassisted and mounts very
gracefully. Of course, she has youth on her side. Our trainer is also about
the same size and mounts very gracefully, unassisted.

Personally, I believe horses and riders should be trained for mounts and
dismounts on either side. Just in trail riding, I have been in situations
that required a mount or dismount from the off side. Mine are very graceful,
but I can do it.

Tracy
Kansas