msar-riders - [MSAR] Improving MSAR Part 4

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Terry Nowacki" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Improving MSAR Part 4
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:40:01 -0700

The horse is a multi sensory search tool with extraordinary scenting and hearing abilities.

Just last month our Sheriff's Posse had a night SAR training. After receiving only a minimal amount of my silent alert signal /air scenting training members of our Posse were successfully relying on their horses to find hiding subjects that were out of flash light range in the dark bushes where the riders could not see them. Members were thrilled and surprised how well this worked

Changing our traditional  training methods.
In order to have progress MSAR will have to change the traditional ways most have been trained to search. I have a wide variety of different, fun and interesting methods I use that sharpens the search skills of both man and horse but they are to lengthy to discuss here. Generally there are three areas that are vastly over looked by MSAR they are mounted sign cutting, understanding your horses silent alert signals and relying on your horses natural instincts.

more comming

TER

  • [MSAR] Improving MSAR Part 4, Terry Nowacki, 10/15/2004