msar-riders - [MSAR] Improving MSAR Part 5

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Terry Nowacki" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Improving MSAR Part 5
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:47:34 -0700

Horses are capable of much more than many of you know.
Everyone is SAR respects the search dogs right? Rightfully so, on the average SAR K9 groups are the hardest working, best trained, most prepared group in SAR. They have earned the respect of many and MSAR can surely learn a lot from them.
But you may be surprised to learn that some of their certification standards are not as difficult as you think, at least not when compared to what a MSAR could capable of.
Through my test and demonstrations I have proved to many across the US that in many cases , when properly trained, MSAR could have as high of a sucess rate as K9 SAR has.

Certifying K9 Air Scenting Test
Day search - 40 to 60 acres - one subject in 1 1/2 hours
Night Search - 80 acres, one subject in three hours.
 Advanced day search -140 TO 160 acres locate two moving subjects in Five hours

 I am not done yet! Continued on Part 6

)

  • [MSAR] Improving MSAR Part 5, Terry Nowacki, 10/15/2004