msar-riders - [MSAR] Team typing for mutual aid

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Team typing for mutual aid
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:43:52 -0600

David C. Kovar wrote:
>I particularly commend you all for including WFR in your typing. California
>code only recognizes DOT FR.

The type requirement is quite abstract; whether an individual
qualifies or not is determined by a board in the department of
public health which evaluates each and every course curriculum
and deems it acceptable or not acceptable. This sets a high
threshold, and unfortunately also introduces some bureaucratic
hurdles. Having spent many, many hours trying to organize a
WFR course, I am not sure our current setup is entirely good.
Part of the problem is that the board in question is concerned
with certification of EMTs, for whom WFR is further training,
not primary training. For SAR there is a need for more people
with WFR training who are not necessarily EMTs.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico