msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: NASAR MSAR Practical standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: NASAR MSAR Practical standards
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 18:06:53 -0600

Jorene Downs wrote:
>[...] each county in CA does their own thing for SAR. At the state
>level we now have some Mutual Aid guidelines built on a Typing system,
>with the idea that for Mutual Aid you can ask for a Type 3 and
>everyone understands the general requirements.

New Mexico has this too. Types I, II, and III are defined largely
by the field team's equipment and medical training. Note that the
types apply to *field teams* not units. To be Type II your team
must have at least one radio capable of 155.160, a GPS, "PACE cert"
person, 1st aid person, and ability to remain in the field 24 hrs.
I cannot remember at the moment which is the highest type, I or III,
but to meet it one member of the team must be at least a Wilderness
First Responder (with training that is pre-approved; most WFR
courses do not qualify) or EMT or other trained medical personnel.

New Mexicans on this list: if you want to get called out more, get
your unit trained up to the point where it can field one or more
teams that are Type II or better. There is not much call for mutual
aid using the lowest type team, or any untyped team; less skilled
resources are of less value.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico