msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: NASAR MSAR Practical standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: tm'-fi <TFinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: NASAR MSAR Practical standards
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 00:19:59 -0400

Chris,

I am not sure if I fully understand your comment, but I will try and give you an explanation of my thoughts on the topic again.

All 50 States operates under different, yet similar, guidelines for their search and rescue personnel (both paid and volunteer). MSAR teams are active in approximately 40 States, most of which are under the supervision or related to a local law enforcement agency (or posse). NASAR has representatives from approximately 27 States through out the Country. Because the lack of state representatives,. NASAR only represent a little over 50% of all the States, and in order to adequately help address the needs of MSAR teams with access to NASAR programs, the broadest possible representation should be selected. Even after the NASAR-MSAR standards are created, they will not applicable a set of national standards for "all" MSAR teams, simply because of the lack of NASAR presence in so many States or because many States utilize the services of other SAR organizations. The current NASAR-MSAR committee has some great people on board and I respect each of them, sadly, their hard work will not benefit all MSAR teams in this country. I do not question the ability of anyone of the committee members. Now if we could get Jorene to move to Alabama, the mix would have more coverage (just kidding J) ;-)

I agree with a comment that Jorene made, if a single MSAR organization was formed, someone would want to start, claiming to be a better one. Last Summer here in MSAR Riders, a discussion about the need for wearing safety helmets and carrying of basic MSAR gear drew some very heated arguments. I believe a public service volunteers should wear and have proper protective/safety equipment (I hate helmet, yet wear one when on any MSAR related activity). Today, I was thinking that back when NASAR branched out and included K-9 standards as part of their training program, they developed only a basic level program setting minimum standards. I really think if more MSAR folks could agree on a set of basic MSAR standards and give them a try for a couple of years, it would be easier to move forward creating higher levels of expertise. I believe the first organization that sponsors a set of basic MSAR level standards, that is flexible enough to be adopted by all (States) MSAR team, they will get the most respect and support..

A few folks have referred to me as being anti-NASAR, although at times I may sound that way, I am not. My passion is for MSAR and my affliction to NASAR is by default. However, I will be at this year's NASAR conference in Virginia with my MSAR team, who will be hosting a working MSAR camp on site (which may be a first, but I'm not sure). The camp is considered one program and thus only allowed one presenter (free) ticket. This means our team members will need pay attendee prices in order to spend the day outside supporting our MSAR program. I would not waste one dollar, on an organization that I did not feel worthy of my support. I am also one of the two senior members on my team who supported the team requirement, for all of our operational members to be NASAR SAR Tech-III certified. Although not mandatory, we encourage our team members to obtain SAR Tech-II status (as well as CERT status). I also voted for our team to join NASAR (as Ian referred to). I only wish the new prices he had talked about had went into effect sooner, last month I paid $75 to take my SAR Tech-II tests.

I hope this help explained what you wanted to know.

Tomi'
TROT-SAR
State of Maryland
pennbo@bbv.net wrote:

On California being a big state- One of the problems I have with Calif.
MSAR standards is that the members of the committee are all from similar
areas and I don't feel they adequately address all the different issues
the wide spread teams have.

Tomi- could you please elaborate a bit on exactly why you feel that
having two members from CA is not ideal? I would be interested in
hearing your thinking as to what the disadvantages are of that
selection! In what ways do you feel that MSAR needs will not be met?

Thanks,
Chris