msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Riding clinic, New Mexico April *26-29*

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Riding clinic, New Mexico April *26-29*
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:31:11 -0700

Tomi' wrote:
>During the yearly SAREX in Maryland, we picket and/or use portable
>corals for our horses while attending the non- riding training courses.

This works, *if* the venue administrators and conference organizers
are amenable. In the case of ESCAPE (New Mexico), they are not. That
is partly the fault of MSAR participants, some of whom are just along
for a cheap horse vacation, using the conference registration only for
meals and lodging and blowing off everything else. At ESCAPE 2003,
during the MSAR presentation, conference organizers made a surprise
inspection of the horse camping area and saw just how many horse folks
were along for rides (on private property too); my teammates were at
ESCAPE but many others were not.

If you bring horses, it is important either to have them *right there*
at the conference location, or else to have them someplace safe where
you do not need to keep an eye on them. If the commute is more than a
few minutes, too many MSAR participants (even many who had intended to
focus on the conference) will abandon the conference for fun rides.

One constant feature of ESCAPE conferences is on-site vehicle and tent
camping. It makes for great camaraderie, but rarely allows for horses
or dogs (pet dogs are absolutely not allowed).

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico