msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted and Air support

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: bonnie elster <elster530@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted and Air support
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:52:40 -0800 (PST)

Nevada County is in the process. We've started training w/radio communication. There are several people who will be training w/the pilots as 'spotters'.

Jorene@CEOates.com wrote:
This weekend our Sheriff's Aero Squadron is hosting a Fly-In and Western States members flew in from all over the western USA to compete. I had the neat experience of being invited along to take photos for our web site. My "air taxi" to different locations in the county during the competition was the plane demonstrating touching the line for my camera shot on http://www.ceoates.com/sar/train/air.html

A pilot might spot something from the air and try to get a GPS reading that is at least reasonably close, then stay overhead to talk responding ground forces to that location. That radio conversation can be a bit of a challenge. <g> Another option for fixed wing is to drop a weighted message out the window of the plane. To be more accurate they'll come in rather low. This could create problems for livestock not accustomed to a plane buzzing at a lower altitude overhead.

How many of you have planes for SAR support in your operational area? Have any of you trained with your air support?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,