msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted and Air support

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted and Air support
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:50:04 -0700

Tomi wrote:
>Within our state SAR program the CAP is the only group that utilizes
>fixed-wing aircraft and they use them as communication repeaters and
>they fly well above helicopter traffic.

In New Mexico, some SAR units have their own airplanes (or
a member of the unit has one). CAP is also big here. Most
SAR usage is as Tomi says: they circle overhead at higher
altitudes, out of the way of helicopters and other traffic,
carrying radio repeaters and/or relaying messages for those
whose equipment is not programmed for the repeater input
frequency. For safety reasons, the pilot should not search;
that is the job of one or more passengers. I am told this
is a requirement for CAP in New Jersey, and I would hope it
applies elsewhere.

While on SAR missions on horseback, it is not unusual for
us to have one or more helicopters low overhead. On one
search in a wooded canyon this summer, for some reason two
of them circled us just above the treetops. None of our
horses cared in the least. My mare sees helicopters on a
daily basis, because the boarding facility where I keep
her is adjacent to the municipal airport where the State
Police choppers are based. She also sees a lot of wildfire
choppers practice pickups and dumps of their water buckets.
The boarding facility holds many festival events for kids
and invites the State Police to show off their equipment,
so choppers routinely fly in and land on the polo fields.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico