msar-riders - [MSAR] Mounted SAR and Air support

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Thomas and Christy Matthews" <tcmatthews0113@msn.com>
  • To: "mounted sar list" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Mounted SAR and Air support
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:34:11 -0700

We are lucky to have one of our local pilots just designated as the State
search Coordinator
for a 5 county region. His authority relates to lost/down planes. But our
county SAR
unit has had several training with his people and can and will act as ground
support,
rescue, and spotters. We have a good group of local pilots at our small
county airport
that have always volunteered their services for wilderness searches. We
haven't done as
much training as we would like but enough to help as ground support. Our
unit also has
two ELT's that we have been able to practice with.(those are the hand held
gadgets that
give you directional signals to locate the downed plane) Can you tell I'm
not a teckie.

So far we've not had the opportunity to work on a down plane search. But
think our
mounted unit will be a real asset in getting to the down plane. This is in
Montana
so there's lots of places a plane could go down and not be spotted by air,
even with
the electronic signals. So we could end up with a lat.long location but
still have to
send in M or G SAR to find the actual plane.

Christy
Stillwater Co.MT SAR

  • [MSAR] Mounted SAR and Air support, Thomas and Christy Matthews, 10/27/2003