msar-riders - [MSAR] Urban benifit of knowing silent alert signals

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "wwfarm" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Urban benifit of knowing silent alert signals
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 17:05:10 -0700

I would like to share the following experience with you because I feel it is a good example that describes the benefit of being able to recognize silent alert signals and the use of air scenting even in urban areas.  It will also help explain how air scenting could be used if you were on a MSAR mission which was a question that was brought up on this list a while back.

This past Saturday night I was riding mounted patrol security at a town celebration. I have been trained to watch for under age drinking, vandalism, illegal drug related activity, etc. As I was riding through the dark alleys the sound of rock and roll music blared from a near by street dance. I was riding with out my mounted lighting system because I wanted the element of surprise on my side. As I rode all of a sudden I noticed that my horses posture made a change,I recognized his silent alert signal, my horse Storm was going into his human scenting mode. Even when I could not hear or see anyone my horse’s signals told me that I was not alone in the darkness!

The signal that Storm gave me was not an abrupt startled signal like many untrained people would expect to see, but rather just a small slight change in position, he did not even stop . As you see, human scent does not scare horses like a bear scent would but they still do give a silent signal when a strong human scent is present in unusual or unexpected locations. Our horses constantly try to communicate with us it's just that most people do not understand what they are saying.   In this case I did not have my horse tacked up with his special air scenting tack that cues him to follow scent when he finds it  because I was not intentionally trying to air scent search. If I was not trained to watch for and acknowledge slight signals my horse would have obediently continued down that alley and no one would have detected the human presence lurking off to the side in the dark.

 Odds were that someone was where they were not supposed to be at 11:00 pm.   My mind questioned the possibilities of this new development?  I checked the wind direction, which told me in what area I must investigate. As I dropped my reins on his neck and gave him the search command Storm knew he was on his own, his training kicked in as he started out searching like he was on auto pilot following his nose into the wind. Storm’s natural instincts told him where to go I was just along for the ride, "I had the best seat in the house."  All I had to do was use reasoning power.  The only sound that could be heard at that time was my own heart pounding" the hunt was on!"  With caution Storm proceeded around some obstacles into an large empty lot.  Storm slowed his pace as a cat would when stalking a mouse, it was another signal, and I knew we were getting very close to the source of the scent drift. It felt as if the hairs on my neck were standing on end but I still could not see or hear anything, it was blacker than black in that vacant lot. My horse stopped, his eyes are better in the dark than mine, I stared in the same direction as Storm was looking. (Another signal) After a few exhilarating seconds my eyes finally focused in on some movement by the subjects of our search! It was a very startled and embarrassed young couple that had been making out on an abandoned sofa.  As the couple made their way back to the main street I just smiled and continuing on with my patrol thinking I wish everyone knew how great this air scenting works! Storm of course got praise and a good neck scratch, something that he really enjoys.

 Now just think if this was a MSAR mission how valuable a tool it would be to have an extra sense to use that could detect people that you cannot possibly see or hear. Not to mention the thrill and excitement of being in the saddle when this happens! I know that it sure made my night more interesting!

TERRY

Marshall County Mounted Sheriffs Posse

http://www.airscentinghorse.com

Example - Last night I was riding security at a small town celebration as I was riding through the dark alleys my horse all of a sudden dropped down into scenting mode. (He did not even have on his special tack on that cues him to air scent search.) I recognized his silent alert signals. Some one was close; I was not alone in the darkness! Some one was where they were not supposed to be. My mine questioned could this be under age drinking or drug related? As we were trained to watch for such activity.  I checked the wind direction and proceeded into the wind with caution to investigate. My horse slowed his walk as a cat would when stalking a mouse. The horse stops, his eyes are better in the dark than mine. I finally focus in on a very embarrassed young couple making out in the dark. I just smiled and moved on thinking I wish everyone knew how great this air scenting works! Now just think if this was a SAR mission how valuable a tool that would be!