msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Urban benifit of knowing silent alert signals

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Urban benifit of knowing silent alert signals
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 15:48:55 -0700

From: wwfarm
I would like to share the following experience with you because I feel it is a good example that describes the benefit of being able to recognize silent alert signals and the use of air scenting even in urban areas.  [...]
Thanks for sharing, Terry. Sounds like Mounted Police would also definitely benefit from air scent training! And kudos to Storm (and your training) that even without his customary "we're air scenting" tack he still performed.

You described the alert as "a small slight change in position" - could you provide more detail? I'm picturing a slight raise and tilt of the head, ear turned, but I suspect it would need to be more specific to identify that this is an "alert" and not just the horse being curious about something that caught his attention.

Also - have you ever tried air scent training with a mule?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,