msar-riders - RE: [MSAR] Alert and Air Scent training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "colleen combes" <ccombes@pacbell.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [MSAR] Alert and Air Scent training
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 08:46:28 -0700

I’ve also noticed that, even after training, horses show less enthusiasm when searching by scent. They are less focused, cautious, and are easily distracted. They don’t have the drive to find an object like dogs, even with the reward system. I wonder if that is because they are prey animals and aren’t, by nature, conditioned to “hunt” for things, while dogs, as predators, are more aggressively focused on hunting. cc