msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Search equipment

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Paul Kearney" <pakearney@hotmail.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Search equipment
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:24:32 +0930

Probably didn't really clarify what we do and carry. We cover the whole state of South Austrralia. We are called upon by either police or other S.E.S. units to conduct the searches. When we are turned out, it is a whole SES unit turnout, not just the mounted. This means we will have up to 10 riders and horses, plus another 10 plus people. Their role is to support the horses and riders. We always turrn out with a min. of 1 days feed per horse and 40 gallons of drinking water, no matter where the task is. If required, the support crew organise extra feed and water for our horses, plus they do all the other logistics like ensure riders are fed, float extra horses in or out etc. etc. Each rider of the horse team carries a "bum back" which contains there personal protection equipmet (gloves (plastic and leather) assprin, bandaids etc etc) Each rider is required to carry two litres of drinking water for themselves as well. In addition to this the "maps" rider will carry the appropraite topigraphicla map and compass. The "coms" rider will carry radio and mobile telephone. I carry woolen blankets to utilise for many and varied reasons. These are carried in covers so they stay dry but are used to keep a client warm, use to lay on the ground to give a clear defined area if we require it and we can make shelters to offer shade in the summer if required (we also carry lashings for this purpose.) I also carry the first aid equipment in saddle bags. We also carry equine first aid kit in the field and have farrier equipment in the support vehicles.
When we locate a person, our job is to administer first aid (all riders have senior qulaifications, despit their age) adn remain with them until an extraction party arrive. This is normally an ambulance or may be winched by helicopter. If this is not an option due to terrain or weather, then we will make a stretcher (hence the blanket and lashings again) and carry them out on foot whilst the horses are led by other riders. This woul donly be done in a real emergency where evacutaion due to danger (fire flood and alike) was a high probablity.
I have checked your archives and got the inforamtion I was looking for. Thanks for that
Cheers
Paul