msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Ready Packs

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Ready Packs
  • Date: Wed Feb 12 16:51:01 2003

From: "Pennington-Boggio's" <pennbo@bbv.net>
> [...]
> SO- what I am looking for/thinking about is a pack that can be easily
> attached to the saddle like saddlebags BUT in an emergency can be
> removed, straps added or pulled out, and used as a back pack. [...]

There are some essentials you'd want to keep on your body so if you're
dismounted or somehow separated from your horse you always have the basics
with you. You might consider a design similar to the Web Gear Pack on
http://www.sarcamp.com/master.htm (in the Packs & Bags section) where you
could wear the lower section like a lumbar / large fanny pack. I haven't see
these in person - there are several similar "separate it" pack designs on
the internet - but assume you could rig a way to tie off the larger pack
behind the saddle, between the saddlebags. When needed, it can all attach
together on your back.

If you try some custom design, I found some innovative horse pack designs on
http://www.snugpax.com/ ... and that designer may be interested in working
with you to produce something that could go on the saddle and on your back.
It actually sounds like a fascinating project - and a challenge! - designing
a multi-part system that goes comfortable on the horse and the human. The
human always carries the survival fundamentals, the horse packs the rest
until you need it. Not a large market for that kind of thing, but it could
certainly be marketed on NASAR's online bookstore for MSAR - in durable
orange with reflector stripes. <g> It would also be an interesting concept
for the backcountry riders who are into preparedness ... if the horse comes
up real lame (or disappears during the night!) the human can more easily
tote the gear out. ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA