msar-riders - [MSAR] Ready Packs

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Pennington-Boggio's" <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Ready Packs
  • Date: Wed Feb 12 01:14:01 2003

> Pet peeve: MSAR volunteers who *have* 24hr packs, yet choose to
> leave them back in the vehicle.

This brings up a point I'd like to discuss here! <G> We have Ready Packs
- all packed and ready to go. The county wanted us to have them in
actual backpack style rather than in saddle bag/cantle bag style.
Reasoning is good- if we are ever in a situation where we need to leave
the horses and walk we'd need the packs on our backs. However the
reality is somewhat unwieldy! We use large orange packs in the
mountaineering style. They are too bulky to conveniently (and safely)
tie on the back of the saddle. One member has carried his for years on
the saddle horn- but he rides a 16'3" monster QH with well developed
withers. I put the darn thing on my barrel bodied guy, walked about 25
yards, and had developed a noticeable list to the side! No thanks- not
in the terrain we ride in! Most of the other members have had the same
problem. Not to mention it cuts down on maneuverability in tight spaces!

SO- what I am looking for/thinking about is a pack that can be easily
attached to the saddle like saddlebags BUT in an emergency can be
removed, straps added or pulled out, and used as a back pack. Is there
such a creature? If I manage to design one is anyone else interested?
What do the rest of you use?

Thanks,
Chris