msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: new mounted team forming (New Mexico)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: new mounted team forming (New Mexico)
  • Date: Wed Oct 30 10:50:01 2002

Hi Sandra. Welcome to msar-riders.

Sandra Miller <Artstone@aol.com> wrote:
>we are in the process of getting our 24hr packs together.

Okay, lets talk about packs. In case your horse dumps you and runs
back to the trailer, or falls down a cliff, whatever, you probably
should carry your personal gear on your person. Have you tried to
ride with a loaded pack on your back? I have, and I learned it is
very important to load your backpack carefully, as it will bounce
somewhat and eventually anything hard against your back will begin
to hurt. Also, it can be tricky to mount your horse with the pack.
Think about how you're going to do this. I use a large daypack, no
frame, that has a carry loop at the top. Although I can get on my
horse while wearing the pack, I can also sling the carry loop over
the saddle horn, on the far side. Then I can mount and put on the
pack afterward. My horse is very bombproof, so I feel safe fussing
with the pack while on her back.

Another issue with backpacks is that they must not ride low over
your hips, or they will hit the cantle of the saddle. This is
uncomfortable for both you and your horse, and can disturb your
balance.

Now, saddlebags. You'll need some gear, in addition to the usual
groundpounder stuff. This and that for tack repairs: duct tape,
some strong nylon cord, maybe an upholstery needle. A crupper, if
your horse sometimes needs one. You don't want the horse to wear
it unless it's needed, but when it's needed you'll be glad you have
one with you. A halter and lead. The horse can wear these under
the bridle, or you can stuff them in the saddlebags. Also pack in
the saddlebags some high-fat food for the horse (oats). Let the
horse know a treat is available; this is an added reason to stay
with you. Put this food in a large ziplock bag or similar, so you
can open the bag and let the horse eat out of it, rather than
dumping it on the ground or in your hat. Hoof pick. Some people
always carry tools to pull shoes and trim hooves, also a pair of
easyboots.

Una Smith
(Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse)