market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market Farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market Farming
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 18:41:20 -0400

Nothing really stopping us from starting up again, is there, if there are people still willing to answer?

I'm hanging in here, getting old now and working mostly on my own, definitely small scale; but still doing a batch of veggies and some fruit and herbs, mostly for a small-town farmers' market, some from box order sales, and an occasional mail order garlic over the net.

I can advise that plantskydd really is useful for discouraging deer -- as long as there's something else around they're willing to eat, and the crop's not their super favorite. Chard and beets I have to grow under low hoops with deer fence netting over them; the lettuce ditto in the fall but in summer shadecloth instead of the deer netting.

Weather's been pretty erratic; we've got longer frost-free than we used to, but very erratic moisture -- seems it's either flood or drought. Hoping for rain tonight, but the forecast is thunderstorms, so it's hit or miss.