market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Addition to 2017 summary/update

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shoemaker, William H" <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Addition to 2017 summary/update
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 04:11:24 +0000

That is sickening. These chemicals are not highly volatile, unlike dicamba or 2,4-D, which means that they were blown onto your field as spray drift. They came directly from the sprayer during high wind conditions, which is an illegal application. They should not be applied under conditions of wind speeds above 10 mph. As you know, I'm sure, that stipulation is often ignored by commercial applicators in the Midwest, because they would never get all their contracts filled if they complied. I hope WI has better regulatory enforcement than IL does. I hope you get this worked out favorably.

Bill

William H. Shoemaker

Retired fruit and vegetable horticulturist

University of Illinois

wshoemak AT illinois.edu