market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Berries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Berries
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 22:25:44 -0400

On 11/2/2016 at 10:16:48 PM, Wyatt Jones wrote:
> Raspberries, also mostly growing primocane types though I do have a few
> flourocane varieties. I'm thinking about getting "Vintage", which is an
> earlier Primocane type that is supposed to have excellent flavor though as a
> newer variety is still propriety and as such still high in price and not
> widely available. Anybody grown it and is it worth the extra cost?

I don't know this variety. I grow:

Polana: primocane, good flavor, firm berries, no trellising needed. Very
early.
Caroline: primocane, the best flavor I know of, flowering tips are brittle
and break without proper handling (so, not a good PYO variety).
Joan J: Going into our second year, so cannot comment on qualities yet.
Prelude: Primocane and floricane, good flavor, variable berry size.
Floricanes begin the season for us in mid-July, and primocanes finish it in
late October.

We are in eastern MA, and all the above are hardy here (though that remains
to be confirmed for Joan J).

Regarding blueberries and acid soil, I heard an interesting talk indicating
that the low pH requirement was in order to mobilize iron, and that with
higher iron in the soil, the pH needn't be low. you might investigate this if
your soils are alkaline and you want to grow blueberries.

Richard Robinson
www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
Hopestill Farm
www.hopestill.com