market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Berries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: GarlicGrower <garlicgrower AT green-logic.com>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Berries
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 08:23:10 -0400

Hi, Folks!

My thoughts on berries and pawpaws:

I’m doing black currants as is a friend.  Demand is high for fresh if you have European ex-pats in the area.  The jelly is really, really good.  Picking is a PITA although it might be similar to elderberries – I want to go there next.

Elderberries:  Asked a nursery friend about them and she seems to feel like pawpaws, the wild ones do just as well as the cultivars.  Just have two types for best fruit set.

Pawpaws:  Local expert says that if you plant them in the sun from when the leaves first start, the leaves will adapt so they don’t need shade.  Also, he feels that Roundup in the long run hurts the tree – prefers a deep mulch.  Feels that KSU has to replace trees too often because they use Roundup.

Goji Berries:  Supposedly, better as a dried fruit for selling/eating, at least according to a local friend.

Great thread!

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff

Hill Creek Farm