market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] May produce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Todd Lister <toddlister1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] May produce
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 19:37:01 -0400

I plant the heck out of the hoops in the fall. All your winter hardy greens, carrots, beets, kohlrabi etc. One very important detail for me is getting them started before late Oct here in Georgia. A young plant that is established and has decent foliage will continue to grow and be harvestable through the winter. I'm still taking kale, beets and chard to market that I planted in late Oct.  If the pants are small going into winter then they can't get enough photosynthesis to make mass and you'll wait till spring for the plants to pop, and then they'll bolt with the early heat of late spring. When that happens the tomatoes and peppers are in 4" pots waiting for the inside rows to be vacated. The high tunnels can and should be a 12 month affair. Check out Eliot Coleman's "Four Seasons Harvest" He has four or five excellent books and lots of great YouTube pieces.