market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Woodward Crossing Wunderbar Tool System

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: david purpura <davepurpura AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Woodward Crossing Wunderbar Tool System
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 17:22:47 +0000 (UTC)

 Hi All.  I bought one of these last year.  It works slick!  I bought a 48" wide one and pulled it with a 33 hp compact tractor, 4wd.  I'm pretty sure a smaller tractor would pull it, it doesn't seem like it takes too much.  It's much easier on a cleaner bed, thick weeds can choke it and cause it to pull out of the ground (we never had this problem of course).  You dig a little trench at the top of the bed, crosswise, so it's only a 8" deep by 48" wide trench, not a lot of work.  I don't use raised beds.  It's very heavy duty steel construction.  We used it on garlic and carrots and glads.  I might try it this year on dahlias...

dave

Does anyone have experience with the Woodward Crossing suite of tools,
especially the undercutter?  On the topic of undercutters, I'm curious
about horsepower requirements and the difference in functionality and
performance between simple undercutter bars (such as made by Woodward
Crossing and others) compared to PTO driven undercutters.  Does the PTO
driven type help with less than ideal soil conditions?  The Woodward
Crossing site suggests that their tool works best in suitable,
well-prepared, raised beds and they recommend digging a trench at the head
of each bed to get started.  I have short bed lengths and am not interested
in digging a whole series of trenches!

-John