market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Ginger

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shoemaker, William H" <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Ginger
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 16:10:15 +0000

This issue of delivery trucks dropping off packages without even attempting notification is beginning to bug me (a horticultural disparagement). While I haven't had plant material damaged yet, we had a package delivered by USPS in December from my mother-in-law with excellent things for the season, like WI cheese. We had no idea, it was a surprise, We found it the next day with a hole in the side where a squirrel had tried to pull out a plastic bag full of lefsa (obviously a Norwegian squirrel). Everything else was intact though. What really bugged me was that it was certain that we were near the front door when it was dropped off. Just one knock, or hit on the doorbell would have done it. There needs to be a better way of ensuring packages are handled safely. It could have been a neighbor instead of a squirrel, then the whole package would've disappeared!

Bill

William H. Shoemaker

Retired fruit and vegetable horticulturist

University of Illinois

wshoemak AT illinois.edu