market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Silage tarps ala Fortier

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne AT lejardinduvillage.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Silage tarps ala Fortier
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 08:13:47 -0400

Silage tarp is available, AFAIK, in any feed/agricultural store. I don't know about the US, but around here, it's fairly easy to find, so I am kinda surprised at your difficulties. Wherever farmers go in your area for feeds, bale twine, and such should carry silage tarp. Unless, of course, nobody does silage hay in your area.

The one I am getting here is 4 mil, black on a side, white on the other. 24' x 100' is also the smallest size I can get. I do not recommend buying the larger size (30' x 150' and such), because the roll are very heavy (upward of 200 lbs) and hard to work with. Moreover, it gets even heavier when it is wet, which make handling the larger silage tarp size very, very challenging.

You could cut up a wider roll in more manageable bed-sized strips. However, this year, I am buying a couple rolls of Texsol (nursery woven tarp, polypropylen fabric) instead. They come in various width. In my case, I plan on getting the 12' width, to cover two 5' beds at once. The only research I have read on the subject concluded that silage tarp was better, but I think the nursery tarp will be easier to handle.

This is what I am talking about:

http://www.duboisag.com/en/greenhouses-nurseries-irrigation-equipment/greenhouse-liners-weed-control/greenhouse-liners.html

Dubois also has silage tarp, but I doubt it would be competitive to have it shipped to the US.

http://www.duboisag.com/en/multi-silage-tarps.html

One thing I can say is that it is worth the trouble. I am a newcomer to the technique, so my personal experience is very limited. But from what I have seen on other farms, the result are astounding. After a few weeks of occultation, the soil texture is absolutely incredible. I think it's worth giving this a try.

Have fun,

Etienne