market-farming - [Market-farming] Silage tarps ala Fortier

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Silage tarps ala Fortier
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 06:42:40 -0400

I find Jean-Martin Fortier's "the Market Gardener" full of ideas but way too short on appropriate details.

I'm having trouble right now with the "silage tarps" used for "occultation" of seed beds.

After a lot of phone calls, I found a company that can 'talk' silage tarps but the smallest I can find is a black and white 24' by 100' ($109 US) and at 5mil rather then the recommended 6 mil.

If there are details in this book on what sizes to buy or practical ways to cut tarps to size, I haven't been able to find them.

I'm wondering if any readers of market-farming have already solved this problem, one way or another.

Aside from practical issues, it sure is a great idea! I may pick up a tarp and cover a half dozen prepared beds, which wouldn't be out of line, really, but a tarp per bed would be much more practical.

-Allan in WV