market-farming - [Market-farming] Greenhouse Heaters?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: bcluton AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Greenhouse Heaters?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 10:26:58 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

Anyone out there have thoughts and/or experiences to share regarding Natural Gas (or equivalent Prop./Oil) type forced air heaters in a starter house.

I purchased a used greenhouse frame this spring that came with a 250 btu Modine Natural Gas heater.  We've traditionally heated with wood but I'm considering the alternative of setting up the natural gas heater.(and sleeping a little more)

I don't have any experience with install or operation on these types of systems.  Thoughts / Links / Etc. regarding gas demand (pipe sizing/type), electric demand, heat output and ballpark fuel costs for spring heating in the Northeast and/or cold climates would be much appreciated.  Also curious what size house a 250btu furnace is traditionally used in and whether you can functionally use it in a smaller house without issues.(or what issues to design for)  **the reason for that consideration being that we have a smaller starter house and the frame that the unit came from is actually more likely destined for use as an unheated tunnel.

Thanks in advance for your time and input.

Brian
www.stonesthrowfarm.biz