market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] GM sweet corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: idyllwild farm <idyllwildfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] GM sweet corn
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:33:55 -0400

Etienne:
To your first point, it was pointed out to me that roundup ready & Bt GMO sweet corn is available in the Rupp seed catalog. I think that GMO sweet corn is probably a lot more prevalent even at the local market level than anyone might
think- because of the cost, growers are probably strategic about when they use
it (around here, early corn doesn't have the worm problems that mid- late
Summer corn does, so a grower may use cheaper non-GMO sweet corn initially, switching to GMO in later plantings). And unfortunately, no grower is going to cop to using GMO sweet corn bc people just won't buy it (perversely, GMO Bt Roundup Ready sweet corn probably gets sold as no spray).

On growing and selling organic sweet corn, I've done it successfully. You can get
a better price if people want it but on a square foot or acre basis, it is a lower
value crop. And I just used to guarantee a worm in every year, which really drew organic folks. In the areas I grew in, early corn always had fewer worms, later season stuff might not be worth messing with.

Regards,
Mike