market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] GM sweet corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Halstead, Kate" <khalstead AT wsu.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] GM sweet corn
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 14:39:04 +0000

While I consider myself exceedingly fortunate that our corn's worst enemy is
contamination from the local GMO silage surrounding us, I've heard several
times over the years from folks that had good luck controlling corn worms
with vegetable oil or oil laced with Bt.
http://www.pfi.iastate.edu/ofr/Crops/SA14_Protecting_Sweet_Corn_from_Corn_Earworm_w_Oil_and%20Btk.pdf
seems to confirm that as well. Labor intensive to be sure, but worth
considering for smaller crops if the market demand will bear the true cost.

Kate Halstead
Agriculture Workshops
WSU Snohomish County Extension
600 128th St SE
Everett, WA 98208-6353
C-360.794.6081
W-425.357.6024
khalstead AT wsu.edu
www.snohomish.wsu.edu
Extension programs and employment are available to all without
discrimination. Evidence of noncompliance may be reported through your local
Extension office or to the WSU Center for Human Rights.
In the long view, no nation is healthier than its children, or more
prosperous than its farmers. --Harry Truman