market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] sprayer rig for 3pt hitch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] sprayer rig for 3pt hitch
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 19:26:00 -0500

Hi Kathryn,

I'm sure our requirements and yours will probably differ significantly, so
bear that in mind, but I'm glad to share what we did. You said you were
looking for used, but we bought new as we couldn't find a used rig for our
particular bed layout and needs.

Here is a link to the sprayer we have <http://ag-meier.net/3pt.asp>. They
will custom build your booms to get you the nozzle spacing you need for your
particular bed layout and other requirements. We got the heavier duty roller
pump option (heavier duty than the pump that normally comes with it). We
should have gotten a centrifugal pump, as we are using ours primarily for
compost tea + added organics (fish extraction, molasses, etc.).

We have since taken all of the filters out of ours, as we actually want all
that good biology sprayed out on the plants and not filtered out. Most of
these sprayers are built for "conventional" (synthetic) substances, so the
nozzles that came with it were too small for organics and quickly became
clogged. We've replaced the nozzles with wider opening nozzles (3 instead of
the 9 it originally came with, wider spray pattern and more gallons per
minute sprayed, so need fewer for same coverage). We are also replacing the
spray gun with a wider opening pistol.

With a few options, ours cost $2,500 in 2008. It is a 60 gallon tank, which
works great for our 20 acre farm. We put out at least 120 gallons of tea a
week; takes little time to get each batch out. I would think that would be a
good size tank for your 2 acres, just depending on what all you're doing.
The next step up would've been a 110 gallon tank. We felt like a full 60
gallon tank (aprox 480 lbs plus weight of the sprayer itself) would be good
for our tractor, the 110 gallon would've put us a bit too close to the max
rear lift weight capacity on our tractor.

We bought through our local Kubota dealer, you can probably deal with the
manufacturer directly. It is a very well-made sprayer, and is pretty easy to
work on. Most of the parts can be had at your local hardware or plumbing
supply store.

Things we have or would like to change:
- we made the hose from the tank to the nozzles quick release for ease of
draining the pump for cold temp storage
- instead of the plug in the bottom of the tank, we connected a hose to the
hole in the bottom of the tank which connects to a ball valve which is
zip-tied to the lowest point of the sprayer frame. So when we need to drain
or clean the tank we don't have to get up under the tank and unscrew that
plug and then get drenched when it lets loose. Just reach down and open the
ball valve.
- the filter housing on the filter that is on the hose that runs between the
tank and the pump has to be manual removed if storing for cold temps; it
would be nice if there was a way to drain this without manually removing the
filter housing, as again you get drenched removing and emptying that filter
housing. Or else you forget and it freezes and blows out your threads.

Our sprayer has a lot of moving parts, so I'm not sure I would look for a
used one for that reason. However, if you do, based on our experience here
are a few things to look for:
- is the nozzle spacing good for your layout (or can you make it so by
plugging some of the nozzles)?
- does it leak anywhere (tank, hoses, pump, filter housing)? Easiest way to
tell is to have them hook it up, put 10-15 gallons of water in it, tractor in
neutral, open the nozzles and/or spray pistol, kick in the PTO, and see where
the liquid comes out.
- does it look like it's made out of good quality parts, not a lot of cheap
plastic stuff, so it will last?
- is it easy to clean? For instance, our tank has those "legs" at the
corners, which are just another crevice for sediment to gather and make it
harder to clean.
- can your tractor safely lift the weight of the full tank of the sprayer
you're looking to buy? Of course if you find a good used one with a larger
tank than your tractor can lift full, it might still be a good buy, just
don't overload your tractor by filling too full.

Hope there is something in there to be of use. Good luck, let us know what
you do.

And here is a link to a photo of our dedicated sprayer
<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150931685050653&set=a.454878045652.250388.64319285652&type=3&theater>

Good luck!
Laurie