market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] another kind of tsunami

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lori sands <tchfrch AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] another kind of tsunami
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 07:32:42 -0500

I personally know 2 farmers here in western PA who were told by State Ag agents to "cease and desist" from selling lettuce mix at farmers markets.  This was during the summer of 2011.  The lettuce in question was a cut and washed mix of lettuce types in open bags.  The reason given was that the lettuce mix was considered 'processed'.  In one case the Ag guy even showed up at a farm to 'remind' the grower a few days later.
I didn't hear of this happening last summer, though.

Lori Sands
Silver Wheel Farm
western PA