market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Ginger, Alternatives for Planting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Ginger, Alternatives for Planting
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 10:09:53 -0500

East Branch was out last year (never been a customer, though have placed orders).
So I picked out the best looking roots in the local grocery (nonorganic), in late April and early May.  Brought them inside on cooler nights.

Can't compare to East Branch seedstock, but we did grow and sell and the ginger from our high tunnel, about 50 row ft.
And yes, a few of the original roots still look good, though I don't plan to use them.

My hesitation with ordering a case is that at least half of what I saw in the grocery last year did not have active green, potentially growing tips.  So I preferred picking the best from what was in the produce bin.

Maybe organic ginger in the grocery is all more viable?  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Richard