market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Ginger, Alternatives for Planting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: ecoponderosa <3cedarsfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Ginger, Alternatives for Planting
  • Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 19:49:33 -0500

On 3/5/2013 7:26 PM, David Paysnick wrote:
Almost, if not all, of the organic ginger in the US is from Peru or
Hawaii. The Hawaiian has larger, fatter hands (all commercial varieties
seem to) than peruvian and tends to have milder (less spicy) and more
floral flavor. I have not heard of the Peruvian type (always yellow in
my experience) being grown successfully in the states, at least not
central, north or Atlantic states.

On 3/5/2013 10:14 AM, Road's End Farm wrote:
>> On Mar 5, 2013, at 10:09 AM, Richard Moyer wrote:
>> Maybe organic ginger in the grocery is all more viable? Any ideas?
> The organic ginger I bought in the grocery last year was mostly
> nonviable. Only a small proportion of it grew.
> I expect that batches vary.

I called the produce department at Whole Foods and inquired whether
their organic ginger (about $6.50/lb.) was treated to prevent sprouting. The employee I talked to explained that if it was stored for a month or so it could sprout and said that it was not treated with anything. He also said that he was from an African country and that his community, as standard practice, stored their ginger in a medium that allowed sprouting; if they needed to replenish their stocks they would simply use these starts to plant in their gardens and that it grew just fine. His message was that: WF's was not treated, was organic and also might sprout. They just might be a great new source for ginger to plant for a cash crop and if it grew satisfactorily and growers gave them positive feedback they might implement extra quality control and ensure future supplies. This might just be the kind of product they like, things to plant in the garden alongside the figs, herbs, ornamentals, vegetable seeds and starts and more that they already market in season.