market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Ginger - alternatives for planting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Ginger - alternatives for planting
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 14:47:25 +0000

I guess we don't know about disease build-up yet as the crop is so new for us
here in the continental US. Freezing out wouldn't work for everybody - our
soil rarely freezes more than an inch or so for more than a day or two -
outside - and winter is our main production period, so we wouldn't want a
tunnel out of production then if we could help it6. Solarization is a good
tool for disease should we need it, but one we don't use indiscriminately.
Sometimes diseases in vegetatively propagated corps such as potatoes, and I'd
guess ginger, only show up as a steadily decreasing productivity - potato
seed "running out". As a certified potato seed producer told me, that is
usually viral, and they combat it by tissue culturing - as the ginger growers
are doing with ginger. Usually the cells in the meristem where they take the
cells for culturing don't have the virus, so they can "clean up" varieties
with the tissue culturing process and vigorously rogueing any "off" plants
when growing out.

So I guess we wait and see. It will be interesting to see if there is a
productivity difference in our home produced seed and what we purchase from
Hawaii - or any other difference(s). And, as with potatoes, and
strawberries, and many other items, we will likely continue to purchase
seedstock from producers of seedstock - as long as we can get it. I sure
don't want to set up a laminar flow cabinet!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm, SC KY