market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fall Peas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fall Peas
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:43:25 -0400

Allan,
When we soak overnight, we then plant by hand between 24 and 48 hrs from placing in water.
Planting by hand actually goes pretty fast for a few hundred feet, when I consider how much I get for Snap peas at our market.  If we wait 48 hrs or more, then the root starts to emerge, which is easily broken off during planting.

Ideally, I want most of them to just be showing that bulging root when I plant, or barely poking through the seed coat.

(I've not tried our Earthway seeder at that point, don't know how much it would damage them, if any.  Worth a comparison, but I'd use the seeder after 24 hrs.)

After planting we keep the rows moist, by watering, and a layer of fine leaf mulch or pinestraw when available.

We are forecast mid to upper 80s next three days, so will see how that affects the pea emergence this year.
Richard Moyer
SW VA  Out to play in the river

Message: 3