market-farming - [Market-farming] Spice Bush Berry Pricing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Spice Bush Berry Pricing
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 21:15:12 -0400

OK, we've been playing around with drying a WHOLE LOT of herbs and seeds and roasting peppers and milling them.  Trying to figure if there is a local market strong enough to get certified down the road.

I know my costs in production and foraging on stuff like Spice Bush Berries but I am curious about pricing for such a rare item.  I was selling them for around 32.00/LB now that I have learned more about them and drummed up some popularity in them I am curious what others (if there are any on this list) are charging.  Its a foraged crop and it takes a while to attain a pound but we are sitting on about 20 pounds so far, which is amazing.  We've been experimenting with a dehydrator and they are now dried to a perfect state and we've been letting them go ins VERY small amounts for specialty dinners.

We also do Paw-paws and elder berries which are far more common and easier to harvest both in ease and in quantity/poundage BUT also are more commonly found.  We also do staghorn, smooth, and veined/fluted/whatever Sumac.  Those are sort of our staple wild edibles that are glamourous but have been finding a small amount of demand for nettle as well.

So...spicebush berries, dried, do you harvest and sell them and if so what is your price?

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855