market-farming - [Market-farming] Fruit Set Temperatures

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Fruit Set Temperatures
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 16:02:26 -0400

Howdy -

Here in the mid-atlantic our daytime temps have been staying pretty
much up in the 90s the last 3 weeks or so.

While I got pretty good harvests of tomatoes, eggplants and sweet
peppers last week, I don't see much fruit out there this week on the
peppers or egg plants (tomatoes are, fortunately, loaded)

I don't see many blossoms, either.

I have some bush beans that are full of blossoms but are taking their
sweet time to make any beans.

Mr. Google has let me down for locating a precise and authorative
explanation of reduced fruit set in peppers and eggplants and beans
due to high heat that I can pass along to my CSA members this week.

I'm wondering if anyone reading this list can point me to such a
document (like from a University, or something)

Or, am I kidding myself and my peppers and eggplants have just quit
after one fruit set?

It's raining outside right now. Praise the Lord! I don't think it's
getting cooler any time soon, though.

Thanks

-Allan