market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Deer Control (was: NITEGuard pest Control lights)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Deer Control (was: NITEGuard pest Control lights)
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 14:44:10 -0500

On Jul 14, 2012, at 10:22 AM, Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com> wrote:

> That said we've put up a fence. Its a one acre fence and about as cheap as
> you can get using three strands up to 8' high with foil hologram ties on it
> and peanut butter/foil strips. Fence posts are cheap metal T-posts which
> should last you a decade or two if treated properly. They are easy to put
> in and we do huge spacing with 1 post every 20'.

Richard,
Can you please describe how you're getting to 8' with t-posts? And at what
heights are you putting your three strands on the 8' posts? Maybe it's in
your original complete post here, but I'm not quite seeing it. Or it could be
that I've been in the heat too long.

We've got two layers 4' tall 3' apart with 3/8" fiberglass posts at 20'
spacing and t-posts corners and gate posts, powered by a 12kv 25 mile solar
charger. 4 strands 1' apart starting at 1' off the ground, 3 strands at 4",
8", and 16" on the outer layer for all the smaller animals (but armadillos,
doesn't work on them). We keep it baited with cheap deer bait (peanut butter
works of course too) year round. 5' landscape fabric around the perimeter for
weed suppression.

It's effective (so far), but as you can probably surmise, it's not really
easy to
put up or take down. We'd really like to go to a single layer design >= 8'
tall for future expansion if we can find a good design. Yours sounds like it
might be a bit easier for us if I can understand the details of what you're
describing. You don't have to draw me a picture, but it helps. :-)

Thank you in advance,
Laurie
Barking Cat Farm
Zone 8 NE TX where it's really hot with a chance of very hot with no rain for
the forseeable future