market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] NITEGuard pest Control lights

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] NITEGuard pest Control lights
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 18:34:00 -0500

Sandy,

We've not tried the NITEGuard lights, but somebody posted on this list quite
some time ago that they had brought some in. If you can find it in the
archive, maybe you can follow up with that person directly.

We decided to not try them because we have very heavy deer pressure and could
not afford to try something (else) that was not known to be effective. We
came to the "possibly doesn't work" opinion on these lights based on somebody
else posting to one of the lists that they'd tried them with no long-term
success, as Allan described.

Having said that, those who know deer behavior much better than us say the
key with something that's not going to leave a lasting impression such as an
electric fence is to not let it sit static for very long. So with these
lights, they'd need to be moved often so the deer don't learn they are not
going to harm them. I've no idea how often they'd need to be moved.

One thing we have learned about deer first-hand is they are very smart & very
agile, particularly with respect to food.

Best of luck,
Laurie
Barking Cat Farm