market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] market Scale case

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] market Scale case
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 11:20:35 -0400

I'd like to add to something to what Deb said...

We have the Hamilton County, Ohio inspector come out at the second or third summer market that a lot of us go to.  It doesn't cost anything.  They'll even check your non-market scale for accuracy if you bring them (we bring a couple simple mechanical scales with us that we use in the grain and honey house to have them checked.

Our digital scale was labeled and approved but it was WAY off.  In the favor of the customer.  At market we were losing about a .02 per pound.  We use the same scale to weigh our wholesale customers as well so we were losing a fair amount of money.  We dropped the scale over winter time and I think this is the result.  Now I have to take the time to get it fixed and zeroed.  Not a simple task with my schedule and the lack of qualified scale companies (we have two in the Cincinnati area).

My goal is to get two inspected scales one prepping for market and the other for market.  The market one is going to be smaller and have a case for certain.

The pint of my post though is the scale is not just to protect the customer (though that is why the inspectors stamp it) it is also a tool to make sure you are making every bit o money from your effort.  If you are losing $.02 per pound that adds up quickly.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855