market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] market Scale case

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Deb Taft <deb AT mobiusfields.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] market Scale case
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 10:36:24 -0400

OK!  Message received from the Don't-Be-So-Precious-It's-Just-A-Scale contingent.

I will repeat that I spent what is a significant amount to my pocketbook, about $300.  Why wouldn't I take care of it?  It's a delicate precision instrument that arrived in thick form-fitting styrofoam and a heavy duty box. Even if I got it used for a fraction of that cost I would still attempt to prolong its useful life.  I try to take care of all my tools.  It's practical.

The state of NY lists acceptable models that may be used in places like farmers markets and -in theory- will inspect them on a regular basis (although when I called to make that happen before my first market last year I was told the inspector would show up at the market to certify it; that did not happen through the whole season, so maybe enforcement isn't as tough as the rules suggest).  Should the inspector show up, I want my scale to be in a certifiable condition, which is much more likely if I take good care of it.

Oh, and it appeals to my sense of fairness to know that when I charge someone for 1.75 pounds of beans, they're actually getting 1.75 pounds of beans.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Deb