market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Advertising CSA

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org, csafarmers AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Advertising CSA
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:35:19 -0400 (EDT)

I know there's a lot of overlap between members of this market-farming group and the CSAFarmers group, but I wanted to put the word out to both groups just in case there were folks who weren't on both lists.  I'm working on polishing up the "how to define a CSA" language that we got started a few weeks ago on the CSAFarmers list.  I hope to have it ready to send to the group this afternoon.  That language, though not finalized or perfect, might be something useful when folks are trying to spread the word about what they do, how they do it and why folks would want to participate.

I'm also working on the language for how CSAs differ from food hubs, farmers markets, and other distribution models.  I may or may not be finished with all those other definitions this afternoon.  But I'm working on it.  If not today, it'll be tomorrow or Saturday.  It's taken way more time and effort than expected to compile all the comments made on this topic over the last few weeks.  But I think (hope) it'll be helpful as folks try to figure out how best to spread the word.  I also hope that our discussions will continue for how to put the best polish on the language for each term.  But I'll at least have something to start with, which was compiled from what everyone has already sent along the way.  More to come in the next few hours.......

PS - some of you will recall that I sent out a quickie note about a week ago about being smacked in the face by my horse.  Turns out I had a mild concussion.  Went to have it checked out after five days of symptoms like dizziness, headaches and drowsiness.  Thankfully, no hidden time bombs to worry about.  Just a request from the ER doctor that I take it easy and let things heal without pushing so hard.  I think farmers are more prone to just "tough out" various injuries and keep working.  In my case, trying to keep up the pace was only slowing down my recovery.  If anyone on either list ever gets a good knock to the brainpan, please go have it checked, and give yourself permission to slow down at least a little.  I'm glad I did.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html