market-farming - [Market-farming] Flower Pods and Local Food (Was: hardiness of cabbage, garlic?)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Flower Pods and Local Food (Was: hardiness of cabbage, garlic?)
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 11:46:21 -0400

Something for everyone to consider...

If you have the chefs that want them flower pods on a host of your crops are in high demand.

We have 8 beds of cilantro that is flowering.  Chefs kill for GREEN coriander.  Same goes with immature radish, mizuna, arugula seed pods.  All this stuff is what sets the local growers apart from the national brands and resellers.

As I mentioned in another post we have scapes on the way.  A high demand item that is fairly hard to find (especially non-woody high quality types) via national suppliers.  Its one of the reasons we ONLY grow hardneck varieties....two crops.

It may not make you a lot of money (most of our cilantro ends up as dried coriander) but it cements a very strong relationship with your local buyers if they know they can source items that make their menu stand out.  Seed pods are simply one of the products we can all offer and is almost a signature "proof" of a local supplier/sourcing and not everything should be looked at in terms of sales but as a marketing tool.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855