market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] hardiness of cabbage, garlic?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: grizzdover AT gmail.com
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] hardiness of cabbage, garlic?
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 21:43:31 -0500

Hello All,

I think the garlic will be fine.  I have ours mulched with straw (which may provide more "warmth") every year, but they have been fine during many nights of below freezing temps (except a "stalled" growth and some leaf tips browning).  We grow EJ Wakefield but I've never had it transplanted in the field with below freezing temps., but I have had transplants in uncovered coldframes (still in flats) with below freezing temps (but also decomposing straw under the flats) and all I've ever noticed is the leaves turn purplish (which goes away shortly after field planting)and maybe the first set of true leaves dies.  I've never noticed these plants "buttoning" but it also has only been one or two nights with belowing freezing temps.  I've heard that if cabbage and/or broccoli are exposed to these kind of cold temps. for 4 or more days is when they start to button.

Ben Saunders
Farm Manager
Turtle Farm: Certified Organic (IDALS) Fruits, Veggies and Herbs
Granger, Iowa
www.turtle-farm.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Turtle-Farm/200544863386129