market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Heating seedling trays

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Wallbridge" <rob AT songberry.ca>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Heating seedling trays
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:06:10 -0500

Hi Alan,

I haven't encountered this myself, but my immediate response would be that
you need something to transmit and distribute the heat between your heat pad
and the trays, NOT something that insulates the trays from the heat -- if
anything, this may just make the problem worse, since the principle of
insulation is to slow transmission of heat, not spread it out. Apart from
using a sheet of copper or some such conducting metal, you'd actually
probably be further ahead by simply creating a single sealed air space
between the heat pad and the trays, although you'll lose some efficiency. In
the past I've used a heating cable to start seeds, and the recommendation
there is to bury it in an inch of wet sand - I never noticed "hot spots"
with this method, so that may be your best option.

Hope this helps,
Rob

Rob Wallbridge
Songberry Organic Farm